Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thoughts from our first Days of being home with Ashton...





So Ashton Thomas York is here and we are praising God for the greatest miracle of new life! I went into labor last Friday and labored for several hours at home before we headed to the hospital about 4 am. The nurses were impressed with how far along I was and said he'd probably be there by lunch! I decided to hold out to see how long I could last before the epidural and before 8 am, the midwife broke my water and said that Ashton was breech! Within an hour, we were in the OR which was not at all what we had expected!I was disappointed at first that for a month my OB visits all said he was head down but then realized I was thankful the Lord allowed me to see what labor was like instead of scheduling a c-section. A lot of women don't get to experience that. So Ashton was born at 9:41 am and is perfect in every way!!! He was 7 lb 1 oz and a whopping 22 inches long just like his daddy was when he was born. We got home on Tuesday and life has been crazy to say the least ever since! For instance, it is 4 am and I cannot sleep since his last feeding. My clock is so messed up. A few things from yesterday... Wes who does most of the changing changed about 20 diapers and before noon we had changed his sheets three times and clothes about 5. The poor baby leaks through every diaper brand there is and as soon as we change him, he goes again- never fails. I am a human cow and all I do is feed him which I know most moms feel like-it is so NOT easy! Poor Haley slept with us the first night and after an hour of wailing dug her head under the covers which she never does. Yesterday she also threw up four times-maybe due to stress? My grandmother brought her over a scrambled egg and she seems ok now. At one point I noticed her water bowl was dry and asked wes where she was. He said she was probably out looking for water. It was 6 pm I think before we were out of our pajamas and Wes asked if I had seen his toothbrush and by 12 am we had finally both showered and I looked down and realized I have a belly button again! All in all we are completely handling parenthood I would say and I am not sure if I have dried urine, breastmilk, or spit up on my arm. I am sorry for not returning all of your phone calls and emails-we are so thankful for our sweet friends and family!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Congrats Blakely and Wes!! Ashton is perfect=)

Bechtel Family said...

Congrats Blakely!! I check your blog from Jennifer's ever once in awhile to see how y'all are doing. Ashton is precious!! Enjoy this special but crazy time!:)

Katy said...

yay wes & blakely! congratulations - ashton is so beautiful!! i was telling chris' mom this weekend about you having him, and she said the advice she gave another new mom was: enjoy this precious time you have at home with the baby and don't worry about keeping the house clean. :)

the siples said...

i just laughed really hard. thanks for the description of life with a new baby. hillarious and wonderful and hard. hope wes finds his toothbrush.

Marci said...

Congratulations!!! He is absolutely adorable!

katealtmix said...

ahhh, you guys ROCK! congratulations, that little guy is adorable. and oh dear, after reading this post there is close to no way a little altmix will come along before ashton is old enough to write cursive. hope to see your man soon!

hollie marie said...

Congratulations York family!!!

Dallas said...

Congratulations, Blakely! He is precious. Enjoy the moments of newborn phase. They go away far too quickly. :)

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!! ashton is a cutie pie.