Thursday, November 13, 2008

Wimoweh, wimoweh


I just got off the phone with my brother who I mentioned was in South Africa this week on safari as a "team building office trip"...crazy, I know. He has some amazing stories like being 2 feet away from lions and his entire carload of coworkers all letting out an audible sigh (Vigilantes of Love reference) when the lions finally walked away. He said they were told to be silent and keep their hands inside the vehicle but they could take pictures because the lions are used to that. He watched elephants knock over trees to get food inside the tree trunks. His tour guides in the bush were amazing also. He said they would follow animals based on their "dung" and the guides would stick their fingers in it to see if it was warm! I think my favorite story was about baboons who were trying to steal a Trivia Pursuit game they had left outside their camp one day while they were taking a nap! He said they were always bothering them while they ate and he saw one actually lift the lid off of a trashcan looking for food. Apparently the tour guide tried to get them away by using a slingshot. One day he went on a tour by foot which sounded really scary...the tour guide carried a rifle in case an animal got too close. It was amazing though to hear about how incredible the animals were in their own habitat. It seems like a lot of Ashton's clothes are safari themed and hearing Patrick talk made me think about how the older we get, the less fascination we have with animals. How cool it is to be wowed again by a creature that God made.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

A team building safari? How cool is that?! (Maybe I should consider going back to work after all...)