Friday, September 7, 2012

gotta love marching season

My night was so awful I had to write about it. Fridays are superlong as it is but this one has to be a record. This morning we all went to get haircuts. the boys were so good and the ladies just kept commenting on how well behaved they were so on the way home I had to stop at the park. They were good there too and we actually had a good time and I'm thinking that I am finally getting the hang of having all 3 of them out. But tonight was awful. I was already feeling tired and needing a break. The boys were eating spaghetti and Embry was starting to get a little fussy from being tired, but then Igot a phonecall. A children's  director called me from a church we are visiting so we could discuss how to handle snack time and Ashton's allergies. I couldn't hear him so I went upstairs to talk. While up there I could hear a lot of giggling and squeals so i knew something was up. At the end of the conversation, Ashton came up and said, "Mommy Collin just got spaghetti all over the side of the table...but I did NOT do it." I came downstairs and there was spaghetti everywhere. Collin was a mess of course but spaghetti was all over his highchair, the side of our kitchen table, and all over the floor and blinds and window beside his chair. He was really quiet when I came down and as soon as he saw my face he said quietly, "I need a napkin mommy."
 By this time Embry who had been on a blanket for a while was really fussy so he had to be helped first. I took Collin's bowl and tray off his highchair and wiped his hands so he couldn't get food on his clothes and then he said, "can I get down mommy?"
Ashton who is big tonight said, "I don't know what Collin's gonna get!"
I told him as I do several times a day, "Ashton this is between mommy and Collin."
"Time out mommy?" COllin says.
"Yes Collin, you have time out in this chair for a long time." I just turned his highchair away from Ashton and took Embry upstairs to get him ready for bed.
Collin was screaming and yelling in his chair for mommy and daddy and then GG and Pop which are my grandparents.That was pretty funny I admit.
Ashton yells up, "Mommy I have to poop now but I am not done eating. I am going to finish all my dinner so I can have dessert. Collin really wants to get down."
Nope, not yet, I say while nursing Embry.
Ashton, "not yet Collin."Collin screams louder.
I get Embry in bed and then go downstairs to deal with Collin. I gave him a bath and a talk. By now I am really glad I made time to read my Bible today as I actually read about being loving before confronting punishment so I felt good about the way I handled Collin and he could actually tell me why he was in trouble.
Then I come down to have dessert with Ashton who is so proud that he did not get into trouble. But then Collin wakes up twice and then wakes Embry up. Meanwhile I still have to bathe Ashton and deal with all his little ways to stall for bedtime including asking for "cream" three times for different bug bites or itchy spots on his arm. SO it is now after 9:30 and he finally is in bed and Embry, who I finally ended up feeding again just to calm him down, is also quiet.
By the way while I was nursing Embry again Ashton did tell me he would help Collin if he got out of bed again since I was so busy feeding Embry. I really hope Collin doesn't get up tonight. He is finally sleeping through the night again. So now after I finish this, I have to tackle the kitchen. I know I am so blessed and my life is so easy compared to a lot of people in this world, but tonight was hard for me and every day like this that I experience I have more and more respect for single mothers and by the way I really hope this is not a playoff season for the football team. Sorry but you would say the same if you were in my shoes.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

So sorry! Solo-parenting during bedtime is so hard! Praying everyone sleeps soundly 'til morning. :)

Kate said...

Sounds like you handled everything beautifully despite the stress!! Praying for a no playoff season :) sorry Wes!!