![]() |
| A few yrs ago at my cousin Laura's Bridal luncheon |
| So thankful she was able to see that I had three boys just like her. She loved being with them so much. This was from March at embry's first birthday |
Grandmother Barbara
I took the
day off work yesterday to spend some time writing this and was hoping to get some cleaning and
errands done while my kids were at school, but while we were getting the older two off to
school my husband tells me the baby has thrown up in his crib. So I decided to
keep him home from daycare and just as has happened to any parent, my day was
turned upside down. He came along with
me to get my haircut and to the grocery store and was acting fine. Well on the
way home, as we pulled onto our street, he threw up all over himself and his
carseat. It was in every crack and crevice you can imagine! So while I am
trying to figure out how I am going to clean him up and clean the car and
unload the groceries, a neighbor’s CAT jumps into our car trying to get our
groceries. It scared me to death and I screamed so loud I was surprised
neighbors didn’t come out. So I finally did get everyone and everything cleaned
out and the cat out, but I decided to share this story because I think
Grandmother would have loved it and she would have said, “Don’t worry about
your speech. Take care of your family” because that’s the kind of woman she
was. I have three boys of my own just like she did and I hope I can be the kind
of wife and mother she was. Grandmother exhibited so many of the Proverbs 31
qualities found in the ideal woman.
The Bible says, An excellent wife who can
find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
My grandmother loved my granddaddy. I have
so many fond memories of them sitting side by side holding hands or giving each
other pecks on the cheek. I love thinking about the times when my brother and I
would tag along with them to square dances when we were little and get to watch
them dance together as they loved to do. I love to hear the story of when they
first got married and granddaddy was in the airforce and they traveled with all
of their belongings and another couple in an old car with a mattress on top and
lived together in a one bedroom apartment.
They were such sweethearts and I was able to witness my grandmother’s
last words to him a few days before she died which were, “You’re a sweet boy”
as he kissed her. When I was pregnant
with my first son and had such awful morning sickness, I remember her telling
me how when she was pregnant the smell of bacon made her so sick in the
mornings. I asked her why she even cooked it and she said, “Well granddaddy
wanted it.”
The Bible also says in Proverbs 31, She
rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household.” I can remember as a child when granddaddy still worked at Delta, Grandmother would pack his lunch every night and I can see her filling his green thermos with coffee in the early mornings. Whenever we stayed at their house, I always looked forward to grandmother waking me up by scratching my back and it was always fun to see what large breakfast she had made for us. She was a great cook and a worker bee both at her office and at home! I have never seen anything out of place at their house or a speck of dust! My family loves to tease my dad and his brothers about their ridiculous cleanliness which I am sure came from grandmother!
and provides food for her household.” I can remember as a child when granddaddy still worked at Delta, Grandmother would pack his lunch every night and I can see her filling his green thermos with coffee in the early mornings. Whenever we stayed at their house, I always looked forward to grandmother waking me up by scratching my back and it was always fun to see what large breakfast she had made for us. She was a great cook and a worker bee both at her office and at home! I have never seen anything out of place at their house or a speck of dust! My family loves to tease my dad and his brothers about their ridiculous cleanliness which I am sure came from grandmother!
Proverbs also says of the Godly woman that
“Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.” My grandmother was a kind and joyful person. She loved the Lord and it showed in how she treated others. She was such a lady, always friendly and hospitable. I can always picture her bright smile and hear her laughter. She and granddaddy loved living life to the fullest. They always had so many friends and were always going somewhere whether it be a square dance or a concert or a cruise or a trip on an airplane, which they were able to do so often with granddaddy’s job at Delta. Grandmother loved airplanes and she loved to travel. They would take long flights across the country and then come right back just to get a nice dinner and get to fly. Being the first girl in the family, they would bring me back many dolls from the various countries they visited. They also loved to play games and had weekly game nights with friends. I can remember countless times playing rummicube or uno around their kitchen table. As you can see in her pictures, my grandmother loved to be on the floor playing with us. I can remem ber often playing kitchen with some old dishes she had. I have pictures of her trying to get teeny Barbie clothes on my dolls. She loved to tell a story of when I was little and wanted to play with her alone in my room. I had shut the door so my brother couldn’t get in and she said he would stick his tiny little hand under the door and I would say, “No Patrick! You can’t come in here.” She said she felt sorry for Patrick! The past few years, it has been so fun to see my boys and Laura’s boys play with the trucks she and granddaddy have kept for so long that my dad and his brothers played with. She loved playing with all her children.
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.” My grandmother was a kind and joyful person. She loved the Lord and it showed in how she treated others. She was such a lady, always friendly and hospitable. I can always picture her bright smile and hear her laughter. She and granddaddy loved living life to the fullest. They always had so many friends and were always going somewhere whether it be a square dance or a concert or a cruise or a trip on an airplane, which they were able to do so often with granddaddy’s job at Delta. Grandmother loved airplanes and she loved to travel. They would take long flights across the country and then come right back just to get a nice dinner and get to fly. Being the first girl in the family, they would bring me back many dolls from the various countries they visited. They also loved to play games and had weekly game nights with friends. I can remember countless times playing rummicube or uno around their kitchen table. As you can see in her pictures, my grandmother loved to be on the floor playing with us. I can remem ber often playing kitchen with some old dishes she had. I have pictures of her trying to get teeny Barbie clothes on my dolls. She loved to tell a story of when I was little and wanted to play with her alone in my room. I had shut the door so my brother couldn’t get in and she said he would stick his tiny little hand under the door and I would say, “No Patrick! You can’t come in here.” She said she felt sorry for Patrick! The past few years, it has been so fun to see my boys and Laura’s boys play with the trucks she and granddaddy have kept for so long that my dad and his brothers played with. She loved playing with all her children.
Even as we got older, I don’t think my
grandparents ever missed a band concert and came to many of all of our baseball
and soccer games. My brother and I loved every Christmas season when we got
older because we would spend the night
with my grandparents and they would take us shopping for our own Christmas
presents.
Proverbs says “Her children rise up and
call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.”
her husband also, and he praises her:
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.”
My grandmother was a beautiful woman who
always looked her best and loved being a lady. I know now that that is not
always easy when you live with four males but she always carried herself well
outside but most importantly inside. She loved God and her church and hardly
missed a Sunday. She taught Sunday school and played piano for many years. I will miss her greatly but am so thankful to
know she is with Jesus and I bet she is playing the piano or cooking a meal in
heaven as we sit here and Praise God for her life!

No comments:
Post a Comment