Today is the last day I will nurse Embry (or anyone-haha) again. When I started nursing Ashton, I never thought I would ever be sentimental about stopping (see human cow post), but the day I quit for all three has been sad. It's a blessing to be able to nurse them I have learned as I have had friends who really struggled nursing and I've been heartbroken with them. It just is not an easy thing, but it can be so emotional. It's rewarding to know that your child can get nourishment from you and it can be a source of comfort when no one else can comfort them. This has been the case with all three of my kids. I've used comfort nursing when they have an injury or get shots at the doctor or are scared. I remember Ashton's first Christmas he was so worn out and overwhelmed by all the people. The only thing that finally calmed him down was taking him to another room and nursing him. That is a satisfying, good- mother feeling. When your baby falls asleep and holds your hand while you nurse him, your heart feels so full.When you get home from work and haven't been with them all day, it's good to know you can take those moments to bond with them. But there are the not so good moments too. I struggled in the beginning with each one in different ways and always loved my lactation ladies at the hospital who were so helpful. With Embry, nursing dramatically changed my diet! I gave up my favorite milk, yogurt, ice cream and all foods with dairy for him. A whole summer without Coldstone!! And the pumping...and pumping...and pumping!!! This pump has been my good friend for several years now! I have joked so much with friends about the name, Pump in style! I would spare no money in buying her again if I needed her! She's been the source of laughter between girlfriends and what's kept my babies nourished when I was not able to be with them at work. She's been to beaches and relative's homes and hotels and seen my office more days than I could ever count. Collin calls her "the doggie" because of the whir sound that sounds like a dog barking. So these are my thoughts as a chapter in life comes to a close. I'm sure one day they'll be so grossed out to learn this, but I'm so thankful I was able to share this experience with all three of my sons for the first 9-10 months of their lives.
Friday, January 11, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
B- This post makes me laugh and makes me a little sad for you too. Truly the end of an era. You did such good work as a "cow" all those years for your sweet boys. An accomplishment to celebrate, with ICECREAM!
Post a Comment